This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 5.00 CPEUs
Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) - Provider #21328, Activity #137875 approved for 5 CPEUs.
CEU Course Description
This course focuses on how hospital staff can better identify, report, monitor, and prevent medical errors in patients with limited English proficiency. In addition, a training module that teaches a set of team behaviors and structured communication tools designed to reduce medical errors for LEP patients is included.
Article Author: Joseph Betancourt, MD, MPH, et al.
Exam writer: Tiev LaGuire, M.S.
Brooke H. Dekofsky, MPH, RD, CLE, CDE was involved in the creation of this course.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss liability exposures when providing care to LEP populations.
2. Enumerate the quality and cost driven reasons for support of work in patient safety for LEP patients.
3. Explain an immediate strategy that can be implemented to prevent medical errors among LEP patients.
4. Investigate the key recommendations to address high-risk scenarios and how each recommendation would prevent dangerous conditions.
5. Examine what the Joint Commission standards require hospitals to do for LEP patients.
6. Scrutinize what has been identified as causes of errors, or potential errors, for LEP and culturally diverse patients.
7. Define the most important key condition for the predicted effectiveness of patient safety reporting systems.
8. Elucidate dangers associated with using non-qualified interpreters, including family members, friends, or untrained staff and how this puts the patients and the care facility at risk.
9. Identify what are considered high-risk clinical situations that need immediate attention to prevent adverse events among LEP patients.
10. Describe the roles of the interpreter and at which steps the interpreter should be involved in the care process of LEP patients.
CPE Level: I
Learning Codes: 5390, 5410
Performance Indicators (RDN): 1.2.1 , 2.1.9 , 5.1.1 , 5.4.2
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED CPEUs for only $75/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.