CE Credit Hours: 3.00 CPEUs
Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) - Provider #21328, Activity #148710 approved for 3 CPEUs.
CPEU Course Description
Tart cherries contain high concentrations of phytochemicals and anthocyanins, which have been linked to improved athletic recovery and subsequent performance. This CPEU course examines the effect of supplemental tart cherry juice on recovery and next day athletic performance in highly-trained water-based team sport athletes. In addition, short-term tart cherry supplementation prior to and following stressful endurance exercise is analyzed for changes in markers of muscle damage, inflammation, oxidative stress, and/or muscle soreness.
Haley Barnes, RD, CDE was involved in the creation of this course.
Article Author: Rachel McCormick, Ph.D., et al.
Exam writer: Tiev LaGuire, M.S.
CPEU Course Objectives
1. Analyze the differences of IL-6 concentrations in supplemented endurance athletes.
2. Conclude which endogenous secretion may be modulated by anthocyanin-rich tart cherry supplementation following stressful exercise challenges.
3. Describe two results found by a study analyzing plasma Total Antioxidant Status following a full marathon in trained endurance runners.
4. Explain what the cortisol response group-difference is attributed to.
5. Name three health benefits that have been linked to the high concentration of phytochemicals and anthocyanins of tart Montmorency cherries.
6. Summarize the findings of inflammation and performance of supplemented versus placebo Water Polo players, marathon runners, and cyclists.
CPE Level: II
Learning Codes: 2010, 2110, 3020, 4060
Performance Indicators (RDN): 6.2.5, 8.1, 8.1.2 , 8.3.6
Performance Indicators (NTDR): 6.2.5, 8.1, 8.1.2 , 8.3.6
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED CPEUs for only $75/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2019-01-02
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.