This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 3.50 CPEUs (3.00 CPEUs for Florida licenses)
Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) - Provider #21328, Activity #135615 approved for 3.5 CPEUs.
CEU Course Description
Scientific opinion is divided on whether there are significant nutritional differences between organic and non-organic foods. This CEU course provides a systematic literature review of studies focused on quantifying composition differences between organic and conventional crops; looks at weighted and unweighted meta-analyses of the published data; examines sensitivity analyses; and discusses meta-analysis results in the context of the current knowledge about the nutritional impacts of compounds for which significant composition differences were detected. This CEU course specifically focuses on plant secondary metabolites, especially antioxidants/(poly)phenolics and vitamins; potentially harmful synthetic chemical pesticides; toxic metals, including Cd, As, and Pb; nitrates; nitrites; macronutrients, including proteins, amino acids, carbohydrates, and reducing sugars; and minerals, including all plant macro- and micronutrients.
Article Author: Marcin Baranski, MSc; et al.
Exam writer: Tiev LaGuire, M.S.
Brooke H. Dekofsky, MPH, RD, CLE, CDE was involved in the creation of this course.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Explain the number of daily fruit and vegetable portions that would provide an equivalent amount of antioxidant/(poly)phenolics by switching from conventional to organic crop consumption.
2. Investigate the percentage of proteins that have been found to be either up- or down-regulated in response to contrasting fertilizer.
3. Examine the antioxidants/(poly)phenolics accumulation in plant tissues that are linked to a deficiency of both N and P.
4. Elucidate the increased crop-based antioxidant/(poly)phenolic intake levels that would result after switching from conventional to organic crop consumption.
5. Provide the percentage by which Cd concentrations are lower in organic crops/crop-based foods compared to conventionally grown crops.
CPE Level: II
Learning Codes: 2010, 2020, 2070, 2080
Performance Indicators (RDN): 8.1.3 , 8.3.4 , 8.3.5, 8.3.7
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED CPEUs for only $75/year?
Click Here to learn more.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.